Saturday 25 May 2013

Scott Watson: About Me.

For those who are unfamiliar with myself, I am a post-doctoral research associate who has been working within the Chemical Nanoscience Laboratory at the School of Chemistry, Newcastle University for the past 4 years.
Much of my research at Newcastle has focussed upon the development of methods for the fabrication of DNA-based nanowires, and characterization of their properties.

Prior to my time at Newcastle, I could be found at Durham University, where I completed my Masters degree (2000-2004), followed by my PhD (2004-2008) which focussed upon the development of scanning probe lithography techniques for the creating of chemically patterned surfaces.

During my time in academia I have gained extensive experience in various areas of research, including surface science (self-assembled monolayers, and Langmuir-Blodgett films), microcontact printing, and the synthesis of nanomaterials.
I have also developed extensive expertise in the use of a range of analytical techniques including FTIR, XPS, and in particular scanning probe microscopy (SPM). This has included extensive work with a range of SPM techniques including atomic force microscopy (tapping mode, contact mode), conductive AFM, electrostatic force microscopy, and magnetic force microscopy. I also have experinece in the use of scanning tunnelling microscopy.

My intention for this blog is to provide updates and my latest research, as well as the occasional nostalgic look back at some of my previously published scientific endeavours. I will also also be posting any items which I feel may be of scientific interest to those who choose to follow this blog. (I suspect this will be heavily skewed towards SPM news).

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment